Importing Beyond files

Post your questions/answers to older Metro products such as Metro 5, 5 SE, 4.5, 4, 3.5 etc.

Importing Beyond files

Postby Paul » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:47 am

When I import an old Beyond file on my Mac G5 (running Metro 6.3.8.3), there's no problem. When I try to import the same file on my MacBook (running Metro 6.3.8.5), I get a message "This data file is too old. Try using the old version to export, then import."

Is this caused by the difference in processors (G5/Intel) or by the difference in version (6.3.8.3/6.3.8.5)?
Paul

Re: Importing Beyond files

Postby Jerm » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:31 am

Paul wrote:...Is this caused by the difference in processors (G5/Intel) or by the difference in version (6.3.8.3/6.3.8.5)?

This is caused by laziness on the part of the programmers. It would have taken quite a bit of work to convert the old Beyond documents into little endian format as required by the Intel Mac processors. The minimum version that the Intel versions of Metro will open is 3.1.

What you can do, and what I myself have done, is to use the PPC mac to import the document, resave it and then load it into the intel version. In fact you can do this with just an Intel mac if you run the Metro G3 version since it runs under Rosetta.
Jerm

Return to Older Products QA