Trying to record from Metro 5 to an external Tape Deck

Post your questions/answers to older Metro products such as Metro 5, 5 SE, 4.5, 4, 3.5 etc.

Trying to record from Metro 5 to an external Tape Deck

Postby DieHard » Sat May 03, 2003 7:09 pm

8) I'm trying to record an Audio piece that I created in Metro 5 - when I connected the cables from my iMac to an ext tape deck - the deck received no signal - any suggestions - it's important for a response asap - Thanx
DieHard

Postby Jerm » Sun May 04, 2003 12:59 am

Diehard,

I do not know which product you are using to try to record with but it sounds like you may need new cables. If you get good sound output from the built-in speakers and you cannot get a signal from the built-in headphone out then either the Mac hardware is bad, the cable is bad or the input on the tape deck is bad. It should be pretty easy to isolate which is the problem.
Jerm

Re: Trying to record from Metro 5 to an external Tape Deck

Postby cornutt » Mon May 05, 2003 9:16 am

DieHard wrote:8) I'm trying to record an Audio piece that I created in Metro 5 - when I connected the cables from my iMac to an ext tape deck - the deck received no signal - any suggestions - it's important for a response asap - Thanx

Doesn't OS9 have a separate volume control for the headphone jack? The first thing I thought of was that the cable has the wrong size mini plug, but if that were the case you'd probably get audio on one channel but not the other. Do you still hear the internal speakers when the cable is plugged in? (Or does the iMac even have an external speaker? Sorry I don't know... mine is a G4.)

Unplug the cable from the Mac and touch the plug tip with your finger and see if that causes the tape deck to see a hum. If not, something's up with either your cable or your tape deck. Stupid questions: does your tape deck have an input selector or a line-in level control?
cornutt

Return to Older Products QA