QT Musical Instruments, how do I view instrument names?

Post your questions/answers to older Metro products such as Metro 5, 5 SE, 4.5, 4, 3.5 etc.

QT Musical Instruments, how do I view instrument names?

Postby mercibeate » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:23 am

Hi,

I'm using Metro 5 on OS 9.2.2. When using QT Musical Instruments as a sound source, I've been unable to figure out how to have the actual instrument names appear in the "program" pop-up of the sections window.

I've read the manual but remain stumped. Can anyone help out with a brief step-by-step?

thanks,

rob
mercibeate

Postby Scoot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:11 am

sections window? The sections window would be to put together a set of midi tracks in order.

Do you mean the graphic editor (which has program names) or the tracks window which is titled 'sect 1' at the top?

I've been fiddling with Metro 5 and this is how I managed it......it's probably not 100% right but it will get you started.
I hope this is what you're after.

I started with metro and nothing else.....as I can't locate the metro 5 cd to see if there was an instrument definition on the disk to help you.

An instrument definition is a list that tells metro that grand piano is 0 and violin is program 40 etc.

On the links page was a link to cakewalk and their instrument definitions.
http://www.cakewalknet.com/instrumentdefinitionseng.htm

As quicktime instruments are based on standard midi I just downloaded AlesisQS6 as an example.

Unstuffit.

Startup metro and go into program names under the setup menu.

Above the row of 16 check boxes, choose quicktime instruments from the "channels for port" option.

Select the OPEN button near the top and go and open the QS6 file. It tells you the .INS file is opening.

Make sure all the check boxes are ticked and hit OK.

Save preferences to keep these preferences the next time you open.

The QS6 GM can now be selected from the popup and these pretty much correspond with the QT sounds.

Somewhere there is probably a quicktime.ins file out there.

scoot.
Scoot

still having trouble

Postby mercibeate » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:19 pm

Thanks for responding.

I meant the tracks window, sorry...

I tried what you described, but in the tracks window, the selections for "bank" and "pgm" are greyed out and cannot be selected.

In the graphic editor window, I can select different instruments, however, the selection does not change the instrument sound. Even though I've selected Bassoon, the instrument still plays as a piano.

I must have set something wrong somewhere, but I cannot figure out what it is.

Any other suggestions or ideas are most welcome.

thanks,

rob
mercibeate

Postby Scoot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:32 pm

Are they greyed out or do they look like --

cause all you do is click on that to see the instruments.

Another thing......you need to have ports for quicktime instruments.

Special Menu - modify instruments and busses
Say ADD 16 (make sure you put the tick in the box) on the (and from the popup) select quicktime instruments.

You can then go into the graphic editor and where it says PORT select quicktime music 1 and then the program changes will notice your changes.

fingers crossed.

scoot.
Scoot

Postby Jerm » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:34 pm

The reason it does not change is probably because of the step-channel setting. The little button that looks like an old tv channel changer selects which channel the program change event is sent on when selecting program names. It may be easier if you create some quicktime music instruments in the modify instruments and busses dialog and then assign that to the track in the graphic editor before selecting program names.
Jerm

problem solved

Postby mercibeate » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:03 pm

Adding the QT ports is what was needed. I then made the modification in the graphic editor track and all is working as expected.

You saved me much grief. Thanks a lot for your help!

rob
charlottesville, VA USA
mercibeate

Postby Scoot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:09 pm

Go to the preferences and hit SAVE otherwise you go through the same routine everytime you start up.

With Metro 6 and OSX you can throw away the quicktime sounds and use soundfonts which are almost as good as sounds from a synth.

scoot.
Scoot

Return to Older Products QA