maybe a stupid MIDI question for metro 5

Post your questions/answers to older Metro products such as Metro 5, 5 SE, 4.5, 4, 3.5 etc.

maybe a stupid MIDI question for metro 5

Postby jason4100 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:25 pm

as i'm relatively new to MIDI i gotta say that i'm excited to see that there's a forum for the app i'm using, and i'm hoping that someone out there understands my problem. i've sucessfully loaded the instrumentation for my synth, a Yamaha CS6X, but i've got no idea how to get it to separate the instrumentation. i've got two tracks, both MIDI, and set one to a drum bank and the other to something like piano or organ...is there a way to play both of them a the same time? when i mute the drums, metro 5 sends the message to my synth to play the organ, and vice versa when i mute the organ. is there a way to have both of those play their assigned instruments each? or is that not really possible on the CS6X? if anyone can help me, i'd really appreciate it!!
jason4100

Postby Jerm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:10 pm

Jason,

Yes of course it is possible. The key is to understand how MIDI works. For one thing each MIDI cable contains 16 channels. This is how you differentiates sounds. Each sound goes on a separate channel. There is a way on your Yamaha (Consult the manual) to get it into a multi mode sometimes referred to as sequence or performance mode. In this mode the synth is ready to accept MIDI data on different channels.

In Metro visit the modify-instruments-and-bussed menu item from the special menu. Click the create-oms-instruments button and press ok. This will create instruments (Instruments were renamed outputs in Metro 6) for all the channels that are designated as receive channels in your OMS setup document. Then in the tracks window assign instrument 'CS6x-1' to track 1 and 'CS6x-2' to track 2. Now all data on track one will send out of on MIDI channel 1 and all data on track 2 will send out on MIDI channel 2.
Jerm

Return to Older Products QA