Metro 5 getting started problem

Post your questions/answers to older Metro products such as Metro 5, 5 SE, 4.5, 4, 3.5 etc.

Metro 5 getting started problem

Postby rbenson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:24 am

I am trying to run Metro 5 on an ibook 500/ OS 9.2.2. When I try to set up OMS, it crashes while searching for hardware.

If I do not use OMS, the only port options I have are audio, internal and off.

Nowhere is there a USB option.

Will Metro 5 run on an ibook that only has USB?

Thanks for your help.

PS: I'm using a 1 in/1out edirol MIDI interface.
rbenson

Postby Jerm » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:42 am

What version of OMS are you using? I am not sure if OMS is compatible with that machine but I think it should be. The problem may be due to a OMS driver that you have installed. Did you install any USB drivers?

Metro 5 should work under OS 9 (not in classic mode) on your machine. To have it work with USB MIDI you will need to get either OMS (or FreeMIDI in OMS mode) to work.

Try removing all 3rd party drivers and see if at least OMS stops crashing.
Jerm

Postby rbenson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:51 pm

I’m using OMS 2.3.6. I tried to download a newer version (2.3.8), but the download seems to be buggy and generates some kind of error code when I try to install it... something about Proteus 2000 profile being damaged. I've downloaded from a couple of different sites and always get the same thing.

The only other driver is the Edirol driver.

I will try FreeMIDI is I can find it.

Thanks for the input.

Rusty BEnson
rbenson

Postby Jerm » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 pm

I think the latest version is 2.3.8 so I would recommend that if you can find it. I was able to download from the second link listed on this page.
Jerm

Postby Scoot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:15 pm

The only difference between 2.36 and 2.38 is the USB recognition which is exactly what you're after!

I used to run OS9 and Metro 5 using a USB mac connected to a keyspan twin serial port adapter so I didn't need to get a new midi interface. It worked fine.

Moving up to OSX broke the compatibility - the mac could see the interface but couldn't send and receive a signal from it......so I went and got a USB midisport interface.

OS9 and OMS is just such a nasty system.........and you occasionally get crashes / hangs for no reason.

I think most of the time to get mine working right I ran it through the process and if I didn't find what I was after I would run it through the trouble shoot. My synth usually came up as a QS7 or something similar.
This was never an issue as long as you found the program names for your own device. :wink:
Scoot

Return to Older Products QA