Unique way to make drum fills

No questions asked!

Unique way to make drum fills

Postby cornutt » Sun May 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Take a drum machine, rompler or sound font that has a large number of drum sounds mapped to individual notes. (I use one of the factory percussion sets on an an E-mu Proteus/2.) Set up an instrument for it and make that instrument visible in the graphic editor, but set the display to notes rather than drums. Now, create an audio track and set it to record.

Start recording, and then run the mouse up and down the on-screen keyboard on the drum channel in the graphic editor. This will produce some highly unusual and unique drum fills. You can do one pattern and loop it as a base rhythym track for a dance piece. Or, you can make a number of them and chop up the resulting audio track, using the individual pieces as loops or fills. Or, cut pieces of the audio track and feed them into a sampler.
cornutt

Postby Scoot » Sun May 08, 2005 11:18 pm

If you want to go a step further in craziness.......

download something like slayer (distortion guitar - http://www.refx.net/products.htm or a distortion guitar soundfont) and do the same thing.

Very Van Halen without any skill required! lol.
Scoot

Re: Unique way to make drum fills

Postby alezy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 am

This of course caused some of the notes to have pops at the beginning and/or ending, since I was copying from the middles of the generated notes. I got the idea of using the audio fade in/out commands (in the Edit menu) to fade in/out over a few cycles to get rid of the pops. Then, it occurred to me that by overlaying fades of various lengths, I could create some complex envelopes on some of the notes. It came out pretty cool.
now we can easily find my braindumps 100-101

you can find us on HP

you can also find us on Youtube
alezy

Return to Tips & Techniques