Graphic Editor Window Resizing

General Metro Questions and Answers should be asked and answered here

Moderator: w

Graphic Editor Window Resizing

Postby fastlanephil » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi Jeremy,

I like how the Mixer window can stretch across my iMac's 27" screen. It would be great if the Graphic Editor window could do this also for less scrolling. It's not super important to me right now but just thought I would mention it.

Phil
fastlanephil

Re: Graphic Editor Window Resizing

Postby Jerm » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:31 pm

I am not sure I understand. There should be no limitation to the size of the graphic editors horizontal size.
Jerm

Postby fastlanephil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Yes, you're right. I forgot I'm using screen sharing and dragging the Graphic Editor and mixer or to my iMac's 27" from my Mac Mini's 22" screen where Metro 7 is running on the Mini. For some reason the Graphic Editor window will only stretch out as wide as the 22' screen allows but the Mixer windows does stretch out to fill the width of my iMac's 27" screen. If I run Metro 7 on my iMac the Graphic Editor window does stretch out all the way like the Mixer window.

I wonder what the difference is that would cause this?

I'm using screen sharing over ThunderBolt. Command-F2.

Phil
fastlanephil

Postby Jerm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Well it is possible that Metro thinks that is the size of the desktop if that is what the OS is returning. Are you saying you can resize the mixer window wider than the graphic editor?
Jerm

Postby fastlanephil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Yes, I can drag the mixer window over to the iMac's display and resize it for the full width of the 27" screen.

There is a difference as far as being able to stretch the mixer window vs the graphic editor window when just using a single screen configuration and I believe it's an old one.

If you push the mixer window to the left you are hiding a lot of the of the window but you can still stretch it out all the way across to the other side of the screen, at least until all the aux buss sliders are visible.

If you push the graphic editor to the left and hide part of it you can not stretch it out at all. It will only stay as wide as the screen width regardless if it's partially hidden or not.
fastlanephil

Postby fastlanephil » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:11 am

I think I've discovered a work-around for the Graphic Window resizing issue. If I unplug the HDMI cable form the Mac Mini to the 22" HP monitor and then plug in back in, then the Graphic Window can be resized to take advantage of the iMac's 27" display. :D

I also discovered that if I switch from SharpGray to Golden the Graphic Window will automatically stretch across both screens and beyond but just as a shadow on the 22" HP display. If I then click the green resize button the Graphic Window disappears but I can get it to come back by turning screen sharing off and on and it's then back resized for the iMac's 27" display. If I do this again Metro will get confused and the Graphic Window becomes empty and twitches. A forced quit and restart of Metro does return it to it's original setup with VE Pro 5.
fastlanephil

Postby Jerm » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 pm

I would like to resolve this issue but I cannot think of a setup where I could reproduce this with the hardware I have.
Jerm

Postby fastlanephil » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, using Apple's screen sharing over TB seems to be a can of worms. My work-around is looking to be iffy at best. Both computers shut down on me and it looks like it had nothing to do with Metro. There could be issues using Apple's screen sharing when also connected by ethernet or any number of things.

I think the best solution is to buy a separate 27" or 30" larger monitor for the Mac Mini.
fastlanephil

Postby Jerm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm

I got a mini dvi to hdmi cable and connected it to my IMac for a multi-monitor setup and now this problem has been fixed. Apparently the maximum width of the all of Metro's windows were being limited by the width of the main screen ever since going to Mac OS X. I have fixed this and now the widths are limited by the size of the multi-monitor setup.
Jerm

Postby Jerm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Also in Yosemite (and I guess Mavericks) to restore the functionality of having a single window span multiple monitors see this article.
Jerm

Return to General Metro QA