cmd-up/down transpose question

General Metro Questions and Answers should be asked and answered here

Moderator: w

cmd-up/down transpose question

Postby Lytz1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey there,

short question for clarification:

When markers are in a song, cmd-up/down transpose the notes according to markers (inversions)
which is as always pretty cool.

However: If in the transpose window "Conform to markers" AND "Constrain to scale" is selected/checked
at the same time, then Metro does something else, what I don't clearly understand right now.

(cmd-up/down transposes in a different fashion then. But it doesn't look like
a "normal chromatic transpose" without any rules though...)

Best,
tL.

(Also maybe it is worth a though to let cmd-up down transpose directly to scale if only "Constrain notes to scale"
is checked and "In the scale of.." is selected in the transpose window? Basically, the transpose to scale
operation without using the window itself. More dynamic. I think this would make sense.)
Lytz1

Re: cmd-up/down transpose question

Postby Jerm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:31 am

I took a look at the code and I guess it has been a while because I did not even recall what this function was doing. It must have been implemented as a feature request from this forum.

Anyway, what this feature does is basically pitch quantize all notes so that they any note that is not a member of the defined (marker) chord is transposed to the nearest pitch that is. It does this by using some RE's lead generator structures. Now if 'constrain to scale' is selected, it does not constrain the notes to the chords in the markers but rather the scale. If no scale is specified in the marker the current lead generator settings are used to set up the override scales. There was also a minor bug whereby it was not quantizing notes to the nearest chord member in certain circumstances. This has been corrected.
Jerm

Postby Jerm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 am

It all comes back if you read this thread.
Jerm

Postby Lytz1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:58 am

If no scale is specified in the marker the current lead generator settings are used to set up the override scales.

Ah, this is the thing what made me wonder. Somehow I forgot about that. Got it now, thanks!
Lytz1

Return to General Metro QA