Sync keyboard play to Metro record

Post topics related specifically to Metro LX or Metro SE here.

Sync keyboard play to Metro record

Postby w » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:22 am

I am trying to record separate midi tracks of a midi song from my keyboard into separate audio tracks in Metro LX with the intention of doing doing a mix by adding fx to the individual audio tracks and also a final mix with effects and so on.

The individual audio tracks I have recorded one track at a time are OK.

However, because the start points of the individual audio tracks are not lined-up I have to select each completed audio track and slide/shift it (by trial and error) to line up as best as possible with the other existing audio tracks. This is frustrating and at the end of the day all the audio tracks are not perfectly aligned. Not a pretty playback sound although some tracks have a cool reverb sound.

Is there way to setup Metro so that when I click the Metro record button it starts my keyboard to play? Remember that I have to record the audio one track at a time so that I can apply effects to each individual audio track.

Or

is there a way in Metro to put some sort of timing marker on each track so that I can just line up the markers after recording each track?

Hope this makes sense as to what I am trying to accomplish.

w

Postby Jerm » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm

Well there are several ways you can do that. Here are some possible ways:

• Use multiple outs on the MIDI device attached to a multi-in audio device, such as a firewire mixing board.
• Use Metro to send MIDI sync to the MIDI device and put the MIDI device in external sync mode.
• Place a sine wave, or a drum hit on a new track in Metro and record that on all tracks individually. Then zoom all the way in to synchronize the start points on the wave for each track.
• Use internal soft-synths instead of outboard MIDI gear.

There are likely several other possible ways to accomplish this.
Jerm

Postby w » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:54 am

• Use multiple outs on the MIDI device attached to a multi-in audio device

Not possible with this midi device. Although I do have a "legacy" midi device that has eight dedicated outs for the eight "midi" tracks ( that was the days when you had to chain two similar devices to get 16 midi tracks ).

• Use Metro to send MIDI sync to the MIDI device and put the MIDI device in external sync mode.

Were is that in the manual please?

• Place a sine wave, or a drum hit on a new track in Metro and record that on all tracks individually. Then zoom all the way in to synchronize the start points on the wave for each track.

I'll try that.

• Use internal soft-synths instead of outboard MIDI gear.

Yes, except I want to capture the sound of this synth engine.
w

Postby Jerm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:28 am

w wrote:Were is that in the manual please?

Just go to MIDI setup and select send sync to the appropriate device. Then consult your manual for that device to verify it accepts external MIDI clock sync and how to configure to be in external mode. By the way what is the device in question?
Jerm

Postby w » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:55 pm

i want to capture the sounds of an xp-80, d20, fb01 and a B888 in an orchestral work I've written.
w

Postby Jerm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, some of those synths are pretty old and may not respond to clock sync. Why not just record the synths audio output into Metro? Repeat for each synth. It should be mostly in sync I would think.
Jerm

Postby w » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:35 am

Good heads up because in the end dealing with "clock issues" may be a waste of time and more frustrating versus going direct audio out from the synth to metro audio in track.

At this time I think that the Yame fb01 is clock savvy. Just as a bit of useless trivia this box was my second piece of midi gear. It's polophony is 8 notes which was just perfect at that time for my B888 two manual/one octave foot pedal organ because the organ has in addition to its other features a real time arranger feature whereby I could assign notes to the soloist, arranger and walking base lines. It's amazing how one can get along with 8 note polophony when that's all you have and that's all you understood in those days.
w

Return to Metro LX/SE specific