Metro SE won't record

Post topics related specifically to Metro LX or Metro SE here.

Metro SE won't record

Postby erich_kohl » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:00 pm

I have an Alesis QS7 hooked up to my iMac G3 with a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI adapter.

I believe that I do have the ports set correctly and the proper channels enabled (in Metro SE and in Audio MIDI setup), and also in AMS, I connected the MOTU device with cables to a new device I created to symbolize my Alesis QS7 (I had to add that manually).

And I am quite sure that I have the Record From option set correctly, and the correct outputs set as well.

However, Metro SE doesn't seem to be recording. I hit the record button and play some notes on my keyboard, but they don't show up in Metro SE, even though the metronome plays.

Sometimes I think my Mac doesn't really know that my Alesis is there.

I *AM* able to produce playback however, with MIDI files that I have already created and imported into Metro.

Any help would be appreciated.
erich_kohl

Postby Scoot » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:16 pm

Go to the tracks window.

Above the first track you should see R M S

R is for record
M is for mute
S is for solo

The track you want to record on should have a little red circle in the R column.

THis can also be done from the graphic editor which also has RMS above the track's data/audio waveform.

One thing I don't know is what happens when SE hits it's playback limit.
If you're playing back the maximum number of tracks (4?), recording may not be available. Reduce the tracks playing by one and recording should enable.

Have you got the midi in connected to the out and out to the in?
(in to in and out to out is incorrect........are you getting lights on the midi interface when you hit the synth keys?)
Scoot

Postby erich_kohl » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:54 pm

I have done all of these things, but it still doesn't record.

In Audio MIDI Setup, when I press a key on my Alesis keyboard, should the little triangle that represents the port turn a different color, or something like that?
erich_kohl

Postby Scoot » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 pm

what OS are you running?
6.2.5 Metro SE?

I can have a go at setting up a completely virgin imac running panther with the metro se demo and see what happens if you like.
Scoot

Postby erich_kohl » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:18 am

If you're up to it, please go ahead.

The version of Metro SE I have is 6.2.2, and I am running it in OS X 10.2.
erich_kohl

Postby Scoot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:27 am

Hey I run Jaguar too so it shouldn't be a problem.
I downloaded SE Demo and connected the midi interface and synth to the mac.

I assume you have the midi driver required for your interface you're using installed.

Launch AudioMidiSetup and create a new setup.
One thing you DON'T do is touch the Rescan MIDI and Clear Cables icons. These have a tendancy to make your interface go offline........on some interfaces.....it happens to my midisport........so to get it to show up in the new setup which is currently empty you quit AMSetup and go back in or maybe even logout.

My 2x2 interface appears so I then ADD an external device to it and run a cable between them so I record the synth keys. Run a cable each way if you have midi in and out.

I then make up 2x2 and my external device have all the 1-16 squares on in 'blue'.........so everything in AMSetup should be setup now.

Launch metro and goto midi setup. In the 'record from' popup make it read the name the external device is.
It is now ready to record.

Hit the record button and Metro now records the synth........it's that simple. I think you may have offlined your device by rescanning MIDI? If you're still not up and running there was one other thing to try that Jerm told me after a long time away from midi recording. Shut the computer down and leave it a minute or too.........and repeat the process.....and hello the midi interface awoke. lol.

Scoot

Postby erich_kohl » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:32 am

I will give it another try. So help me, I hope it works, because I really want to use my Mac to do this.

Thank you very much for all the efforts you've put forth in helping me.
erich_kohl

Return to Metro LX/SE specific