Dynamic pitch correction?

Topics related to Audio

Dynamic pitch correction?

Postby Stephanie » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Hey all:

Still banging away at this editing project of mine. Our 8 vocals and 2 keyboard tracks now mix nicely through a bit of reverb and some compression. We sound just like us, only better.

Except: "OMG, she's FLAT on that note! Stephanie, you can fix it, right?"

Can I? Adding the AUPitch effect to the offending track appears to change the entire track's tuning by a constant amount. Is there a way to attach a slider or a pencil tool to the pitch parameter of the AUPitch effect so I can vary the amount of pitch correction dynamically? I don't have the heart to suggest we should all be singing on key to begin with :-)

I looked through the web docs and found something promising, but at 11:30 yesterday evening I was too tired to experiment. It looks like it's intended to automate midi controller parameters...

This is with Metro LX.
Stephanie

Postby Jerm » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:47 pm

Well with the full version of Metro (think about upgrading) you can simply draw the pitch automation in the track using Apple's pitch or time pitch plug-ins. LX doesn't support effect automation.

What you can do with LX is select the offending region of audio and use the pitch (or time-pitch) plug-in from the 'edit:audio plug-ins' menu and apply the effect to the selected region of audio. Also you may want to turn on 'zero crossing' from the switches menu so you minimize any glitches you could get if the new region and old region of audio do not line up perfectly.
Jerm

Postby Scoot » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:20 pm

Quickest and sneakiest thing to do is volume them down at the flat note.....unless they are the main singer. :roll:

There is a plugin called speedster that does similar things that may also work on a note/pitch......if you're not happy with the apple one.
Scoot

Postby MP » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:02 am

Hi Stephanie,

In Metro, audio edits are "non-destructive," so you can always revert back to the original audio. Experiment away!

If you still get a "click" (or some other artifact) after using zero-crossing, try applying a small cross-fade. Good luck!

Mike
MP

Postby Stephanie » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 pm

Jerm wrote:What you can do with LX is select the offending region of audio and use the pitch (or time-pitch) plug-in from the 'edit:audio plug-ins' menu and apply the effect to the selected region of audio. Also you may want to turn on 'zero crossing' from the switches menu so you minimize any glitches you could get if the new region and old region of audio do not line up perfectly.

I tried this (I think). Three different scenarios, in fact.

Applying AUPitch to the sour selection indeed corrected it, but also applied the pitch change across the entire track, with the result that our poor (unfortunate? unskilled?) alto sang a semitone sharp for most of the song.

I copied the selection into a new track and pitch-corrected it, then pasted back into the original track. The AUPitch plugin and settings came along with the paste; results as above.

I copied to a new track, corrected and rendered that to a new track. Copied and pasted to original track. Somehow the pitch correction got lost; the selection was unchanged and still off-key.

In desperation I rendered the corrected track to a file, deleted any tracks that had AUPitch on them and imported the track as another audio track. Copied and pasted it over the sour selection in the original track. Couldn't believe it - it was still sour!

Before you ask, yes, I was working with the off-key voice. I had three other pairs of ears to confirm that!

What am I missing?
Stephanie

Postby MP » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Stephanie,

You need to apply the effect off-line (not in real-time).

First, remove the Apple AUPitch plug-in from the track you're working on.

Then, select the part of the audio you want to pitch correct.

Then go to Edit/Audio Plug-ins and select "Apple AU Pitch..."

Make your pitch adjustments in the resulting plug-in dialog and click OK.

Applying the pitch change this way will limit the effect to your selection only.

Good luck!

Mike
MP

Hey, look at that...

Postby Stephanie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 pm

That did it! Now, of course, everyone will hear what can be done and they'll all want it. Sort of like the old man of Peru :-)

Thanks everyone!
Stephanie

Return to Audio