SAMSON C01U USB mic

Topics related to Audio

SAMSON C01U USB mic

Postby SongORoland » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:04 pm

About a month ago I saw the Samson C01U USB microphone (on the links page?) I went out and got one.

There were installation/settings instructions somewhere on the Metro site. I can't seem to find it again.

Was it taken off?

Could I see it again please.

Thanks.
SongORoland

Postby Jerm » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:34 pm

We have never had any microphones listed in our links page. It must be a different site you are thinking of or perhaps there is something mentioned here in the user forums.
Jerm

Postby Scoot » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:13 am

Tips and Techniques Section

Currently......... second post down is a link to the macintouch review of the mic.
Scoot

Postby SongORoland » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:47 am

Ah. Thanks.

That was one of the things I saw, but would have sworn there was a 'how to setup' using Metro.

Oh well. May have been I applied the instructions for using the mic in GarageBand to Metro.

Scoot, you seem to be the only one saying anything about that mic.

Are you happy with it using Metro? You seem to have had it for a while now.

It seems to be working for me pretty well right now, though I haven't yet had any time to do anything demanding. But it seems to be quite promising.

I have OSX 10.4.6, G4, Metro SE 6.3.5.5
SongORoland

Postby Scoot » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:04 am

I don't own the mic.........but it was such an interesting mic (hey a semi-pro mic at a budget price) I thought it might cause some interest.
I use a normal AKG dynamic mic. :)

I do know a logic owner with it in the States who downloaded the metro demo to try it, and I think it worked straight up.

It's all to do with your digital audio settings for your 'sound in' under the 'Setup' menu to get it to work.....and any required drivers being installed. :wink:

I would think as it is USB, it is probably ok as long as you just have one.

A better arrangement would be standard mics, mic pre's (or mixer) and a firewire interface.

As an alternative, the USB mic is a good cheap option.
Putting in a little reverb after the recording will probably give it a little bit more life. It does have a very strong signal and low noise from the clips I have heard.
Scoot

Postby SongORoland » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:41 am

As to generating some interest, the C01U were selling great guns at a good chain music shop here in Los Angeles, according to the sales guys.

For me, I'm sort of new to focused voice recording, so I'm sort of shooting in the dark about equipment.

I am planning some independent voice-over work. So a single mic should be all I need. And since I don't think I'll need to match a recording on this C01U mic to another kind of mic, consistency isn't much of an issue . . . yet.

Over time, once I know if my needs are more than what the mic is capable of, I'll move up. But so far (just hooked it up) it seems great. And budget is a factor.

So if there's something dramatic about the mic, good or bad, I'll report back.

Thanks for mentioning it. Saved me some time.
SongORoland

Return to Audio