Audio Event Dragging

Topics related to Audio

Audio Event Dragging

Postby jthibeault » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:22 pm

I have a question, maybe a feature request concerning dragging audio when quantize is on.

Let's say you you have a drum loop where the audio event starts before beat one (there is silence before the downbeat) and you want to either drag it to a new measure or copy and drag.

In Digital Performer you could drag it and it would stay synced relative to the beats. In Metro it will snap the start of the audio event to the nearest beat. This causes the down beat of the drum loop to be late.

I have tried absolute and relative note edit quantize mode and both result in the audio event's leading edge snapping to the start of the measure (quantize = whole notes). Then you have to manually align each audio event (slide it back so that the downbeat lines up with the first beat of the measure). This makes audio loop construction a tedious nightmare.

The way it should work is absolute quantize should continue to work the way it currently does (the start of the audio event should snap to the bar, beat, eighth note, whatever quantize is set to).

Relative Quantize should allow you to drag the audio event to the nearest division without affecting the relative start point of the audio event (keeping the downbeat lined up).

Am I missing something that already allows this?
jthibeault

Re: Audio Event Dragging

Postby Jerm » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:33 pm

jthibeault wrote:Am I missing something that already allows this?

No.

The audio quantize function was only added recently and has not been written to account for relative quantize. I agree that relative quantize should perform as you describe above.
Jerm

Return to Audio