Software audio monitoring?

Topics related to Audio

Software audio monitoring?

Postby cornutt » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Is there any way to monitor an audio input channel without putting it into record? My brother is trying to convince me to switch over to "inside the box" mixing, so I'm experimenting with it. One thing I've run into is that, while recording one audio channel, I often need to monitor others (say, to listen to a MIDI drum track while I'm playing). The only way I've found to do this is to turn on Software Audio Thru, route the inputs I want to monitor to an aux bus, and route the sux bus to the output pair on the 828 that I want to use for the monitor. However, to get it to work, I have to put all of the audio tracks involved into record. That's causing me some disk I/O bandwidth problems, plus general scratch AIF file clutter. Is there any way to enable the channel inputs without putting them into record?
cornutt

Postby Durumbrain » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:46 am

I assume that your "828" is a Motu Audio Interface.

If you are recording through an audio interface with direct monitoring capabilities, you should not use Software Audio Thru for monitoring.

You can simply set your audio interface as the standard audio output and then solo the tracks you want to hear (or set the audio output of those specific tracks to the interface). They should then play along nicely with the audio you are recording... If that doesn't work, then it's probably a question of settings on your interface.

I really don't understand why you would want to turn on record on the tracks you want to hear. Perhaps I haven't understood your problem correctly...

Well, I hope this helps.
Durumbrain

Postby MP » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 am

Hi Cornutt,

Software audio thru simply monitors what is being passed though Metro. As you have discovered, if you are recording - all record enabled tracks will capture from your audio source. If you have a hardware mixing board with sub groups (or flexible monitor routing), you should be able to set up a sub for monitoring and another sub that routes to Metro. Then, you could monitor both subs at the board. Good luck.

Mike
MP

Return to Audio