Listen with effect --cuts out.

Topics related to Audio

Postby Jerm » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:19 pm

arenson wrote:Set 1234 in and out the same.

No idea what you are talking about.
arenson wrote:But fader number remains at 14..

No idea what you are talking about.
arenson wrote: Now allocated two aux busses on 5 and 6 (unused or unassigned, though I do have faders for the on the mixer)

How do you put aux busses on 5 and 6 ? What does that mean?
arenson wrote: Tracks 1 and 2 remain up, all other trackes down.

What does it mean to 'remain up'?

I think you are confused and so am I.
Jerm

Postby arenson » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:17 pm

arenson wrote:
Set 1234 in and out the same.
--->

INITIAL file setup
Ok, to back up just a bit, when I first started getting the hang of Metro, I decided to make a startup file with the ins and outs all preset. So in the track menu at that time I had all my outputs go from 1 to 14. That also corresponded to the faders in the MAIN mixer window. And my inputs were just 1 to 4 since I only had 2 mics and two keyboards plugged into my presonus firepod.

In the MIXER window, I then saw 14 faders, one for each track. Just in case I needed that many. (I also deleted from the MIXER menu most of the MIDI faders since I don't use Midi and did not want the MIXER window to be too wide. That is what i was using when I did many vocals and guitar and keyboard tracks.

Recent file setup
Now this time I want to start fresh, so I created a new file. I JUST assign outputs 1 to 4 to inputs 1 to 4 respectively and do not assign any others.

(Still, the mixer window shows all 14 faders from setup document)

Ok...so record to track 1 (vocal).
Then I decide to test the aux bus.

I have to set it up

It says ALLOCATE TWO STEREO AUX BUSSES ON (and a pull down menu)

(NOT SURE WHY TWO AND NOT ONE, BUT THAT IS WHAT IT SAYS.)

---->What do I choose? The guide doesn't say. I guess it should be different than the inputs or outputs i am already using, no?

Since I am using inputs 1-4 and the same number of outputs, I guess firepod 5 and 6 (I have a choice of 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10. That is it.....I figured I should avoid 1 and 2, 3 and 4).

Am I right that if outputs 1 to 4 correspond to tracks 1 to 4 (and also I am using imputs 1 to 4) then I should NOT assign the aux buss to THESE ?
That is why I chose 5 and 6 for the aux busses. They seem to be unused.

So unless THIS is where i made some mistake in allocating the wrong outputs, I am hoping that I am following directions here.

Ok.... I add effects to AUX 1---and I am doing this right now. Assigning 3 to each.

Ok, I look at mixer. In Main menu. I have all faders at the top (full volume)

And now I flip the effects bus to Aux 1. In the mixer window I do the same.

Every single fader drops to lowest point. Except track one, where my vocal is.

And no effect is added

Other things to note.

THERE ARE TWO PULL DOWN MENUS (Left and right) IN EFFECTS/SYNTHS WINDOW.

Both offer the same choices, aux 1, aux 2, also listening one of the effects for each bus.

(I did not see that mentioned in the quick gude either....

Am I getting the feeling that when i assigned the aux busses I should not have used 5 and 6? I had to choose something but was not told what to choose.

Last, in my digital audio setup, under DEVICE OPTIONS, we get to input our left mono and right mono, and again we are given ten channels for each. I use 1 for left and 2 for right, though not sure what this means, considering that we already assign channles in the individual tracks....

That is all I have. I wonder if there is something in the DIGITAL AUDIO SETUP, or the way I assigned aux busses that is at the root of this problem.

Otherwise recording is fine.

Thanks.

Now 4 Am...really will go to bed.....

Goodnight and thanks for walking me through this.
arenson

Oh, NO!

Postby arenson » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:27 pm

READING THE NORMAL ONLINE HELP FILE IT SAYS
Code: Select all

Metro creates aux busses for the output you selected. You can repeat this procedure for any other outputs you want aux busses for, up to eight busses total. You can control each aux bus from its window in the Instruments Mixer window that you open with the window selector popup menu in the upper right corner of the Instruments Mixer window.

So this means I can set busses for faders (outputs) 1 to 8???) If so, the answer is simple!!! I just select 1 and 2. then if I want to add effects to outputs 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8 respectively, I make 4 busses.

So while I was AVOIDING the same output, I should actually be USING it?
Did I find my error/ Can't wait to try this tomorrow.
arenson

Postby Jerm » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:07 pm

I think if you followed my initial advice to 'name your audio inputs and outputs' you would now be avoiding this confusion.

The number at the end of the aux buss output has nothing to do with the other mixer channels. It refers to your audio output device.
Jerm

SUCCESS!!!

Postby arenson » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Wow...it worked. I misunderstood that naming was not necessary as Metro was reading the inputs and outputs from my presonus. Well, I tried it, called them MY Tracks.

And sure enough MY tracks 2 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 showed up in the MIXER,

And THIS time there was no trouble.

Now it ALLLL works!

I am really so sorry to be such a pain in the ass. If there is anything I can send you in the way of a present from Japan (CD, postcard---I don't think suschi travels well---), please let me know.

I hope I didn't give you an ulcer.

Paul
arenson

Previous

Return to Audio