Logical end-of-file error?

Topics related to Audio

Logical end-of-file error?

Postby giomakyo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:56 am

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 am Post subject: Logical end-of-file error?
Hi,

I' ve been working on a track which will now no longer play back properly; I get the following error:

Logical end-of-file reached during read operation.

This pops up halfway through Bar 2, despite this being a 200+ bar piece.
Audio data and Midi info is present all the way through; why is the track jamming here?

Playback yesterday was fine; the only thing done between problem-free playback and the error appearing was a save command.

Any ideas on what the problem may be? How to circumvent it?

Thanks,

Gio
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Most likely the file was moved, overwritten or was changed via the links dialog. If you can find the original audio file and all the data is there you might try dragging it on to a track to the correct location.

You don't say what version of Metro you are running or what OS or anything so I have little to go on.
Jerm

Postby giomakyo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:33 am

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks as always for the prompt reply.

Metro is 6.4.6 running on an Intel Mac OS 10.5.8 ...

After some analysis, I found three problem audio tracks and deleted them; the rest of the audio plays back fine. Will have to revert to earlier versions of the deleted audio. Since the audio in question required considerable micro-editing, this is annoying.

The best I can deduce as to the cause is the following. After working on the track for a while, I decided to save it as a different version, so I used the "Save As" function to save under a different name. Now choosing "Save As" asks me where I want to Save to; I chose Desktop, but --for some reason I cannot deduce -- only a few of many available folders on the desktop appear as options to save to. Since none of them were the proper folder for this track's files, I chose simply Desktop. This left a huge mass of files all over my desktop, which I gathered up and placed into the track's dedicated folder. While copying some of the files, a window appeared telling me that identically named files already existed, and asking me if I wanted to replace them with the new ones. I chose yes, and went ahead. Now it turns out these were the files that wound up causing the error when I re-opened.

Lesson learned, I suppose. Save different versions to different folders.

Still, I'm curious as to what could have happened. Since these were simply edits done to pre-existing files, I wonder what caused the errors to occur ...
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Your best bet is to 'save-as bundle' (or compacted bundle) when you want to make a backup since this will include all of the audio files + MIDI data into a single file.

It is also a good idea, when first starting a project to create a dedicated folder to save all of your audio files into and to name the tracks before recording. Ending up with 'untitled2023.aif' or something like that, creates quite a messy view in the finder.

I would also recommend you update to the latest version; currently 6.4.9.1 I believe.
Jerm

Postby giomakyo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:05 am

>It is also a good idea, when first starting a project to create a dedicated folder to save all of your audio files into and to name the tracks before recording.

I generally do that, and normal saves are fine. But when using the "Save As" function, often that folder won't appear as an option that I can save into for some reason.
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 am

giomakyo wrote:I generally do that, and normal saves are fine. But when using the "Save As" function, often that folder won't appear as an option that I can save into for some reason.

I am not quite sure what you mean. There should be a 'new folder' button in the save as dialog.
Jerm

Return to Audio