Mystery Audio playback?

Topics related to Audio

Mystery Audio playback?

Postby giomakyo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:12 am

Hi,

Since upgrading to Maverick (10.9.2) and Metro 7.2.3, I've been having issues with audio playing back where there should be no audio. Any audio track where I have done some editing (i.e., not a single continuous region from beginning to end) will start playing back randomly after the end point of the audio in the song.

For example: let's say I have a 240-bar song. The drum track finishes at bar 200, but will start playing back randomly from bar 201, generally not on the beat either, until the end, bar 240. Loop function is disabled. Empty bars have been selected and deleted to make sure there is no "hidden" audio present. Not sure what's going on but the track seems to be looping back to some previous point and playing back for no reason I can see. Interestingly, if I use "Combine Regions" to group all my previous edits into one region this problem goes away. (But obviously there are times when you don't want to combine all regions, esp. if the tempo/bpm might be changed.) Another fix was copying and pasting "blank" (0% amplitude) audio over the bars where the weirdness was happening, but this is not something I want to do on a regular basis ;-)

Any idea what might be going on? never experienced this is previous versions.

Thanks,

Gio
giomakyo

Re: Mystery Audio playback?

Postby Jerm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Well first I would try 7.2.4. If that does not fix it, try to make the smallest Metro file where it still happens and email me the bundle (.bndl) file and I will have a look.
Jerm

Postby giomakyo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 am

Ok, will try 7.2.4 and see what happens...
giomakyo

Postby giomakyo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:12 am

Hey Jeremy,

I've been wrestling with this problem for a while now but no luck.

The last time I did a major upgrade of Mac OS and Metro versions at the same time, I had major problems with audio files opening correctly. This time I saved everything as portable bundles as advised, but I'm still having two problems with every old project I try to open and work on.

1.) As stated above, audio plays back where there is no audio in the sequencer. At random points, it seems to latch onto the last bit played and loops it. It seems more likely to do this where there have been micro-edits. I tried copying only a single track where I was experiencing this so I could put in a new project to send you as an example, but once copied and pasted it seems to play back fine. So the only recourse would be to send a bundle of an entire project and indicate one or two places where this is happening.

2.) More troubling is that audio files don't load. While most files are ok, anything that seems to have had prior heavy editing is prone to not load properly. I can see the red region brackets where the audio should be but no waveform. Either that or only the left channel appears (for stereo audio). In either case it triggers an error and halts playback. I'm including a screenshot of what this looks like. This was the same problem I had the last time I did a major upgrade and was told to use portable bundles to avoid it. I saved everything in portable bundles this time, but still having this problem. Going back to check the original files on my old computer, everything is present and accounted for, so not sure what is causing this. The audio data seems to be present in the project folder, it just isn't loading properly.

Frustrating glitch!

Gio
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.35.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.35.15 PM.png (238.34 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello Gio,

Please email a bundle file that exhibits this problem and I will take a look.
Jerm

Postby giomakyo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:19 am

Ok, will send something over later today. Thanks.

Gio
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Okay I received the bundle file and found the problem which is indeed a bug when loading certain bundle files. It has been fixed in 7.2.6, which is currently unreleased. The bundle file itself is fine.

A workaround that I think would work would be to use the version of Metro that wrote the bundle file on the new computer to open the bundle file. Save the file as a Metro document and then use the new version of Metro to open the saved Metro document.
Jerm

Postby jasmyndube » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:32 am

Any idea what might be going on? never experienced this is previous versions.
jasmyndube

Return to Audio