effects aux fader question

Topics related to Audio

effects aux fader question

Postby Biffer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:35 pm

I was setting up an effects auxilary fader using the on line help and have a problem. I set up an auxilary fader to put in reverb on two channels. But what has happened is that I appear to have lost all volumn control for the two channels. The best I can do is pull all the faders down...aux and audio...and the effects go away but the volumn stays up. What have I done wrong?
Biffer

Postby Scoot » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:11 pm

I don't seem to have a problem here.

I did a small test using a midi drum kit track and installing soundfonts on it and soloing the kick - recording it to a track......then soloing the snare and recording it to audio.

MUTE the original midi track and pan the audio kick and snare left and right.

Open the effects window and select the popup for AUX.

Place a reverb like the AUMatrixReverb on the AUX......and select something like a large hall.

You can then play the tracks and in the mixer window vary either the volume on the MAIN popup or the reverb amount on the AUX popup.

As a test........go to the MAIN and turn the volume down on the tracks.
THen go to the AUX and with the faders up change the pre/post popup on the channel and note the difference.

With pre you can hear signal with no volume on the MAIN

with post if MAIN has no volume you will hear nothing.
Scoot

Postby Biffer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 am

Thanks Scoot. I guess where I'm still confused is where you say controll the volumn with the MAIN volumn fader. Does the individual volumn fader for each track no longer work when adding effects this way?

In other words, say I want to take down the volumn of the kick and leave the snare higher. I can't use the main for this but would need to use the individual volumn control.
Biffer

Postby Jerm » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:42 pm

Biffer wrote:Thanks Scoot. I guess where I'm still confused is where you say controll the volumn with the MAIN volumn fader. Does the individual volumn fader for each track no longer work when adding effects this way?

I think you are confusing 'Main' with 'Master'. In the right hand upper corner of the mixer window there is a popup that allows you to select the page currently displayed. Whereas the master fader is the one right most.

Biffer wrote:In other words, say I want to take down the volumn of the kick and leave the snare higher. I can't use the main for this but would need to use the individual volumn control.

Assuming that the kick is on audio-1 and the snare is on audio-2, simply drag the audio-1 fader down in the main page.
Jerm

Postby Biffer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Jerm wrote:
Biffer wrote:Thanks Scoot. I guess where I'm still confused is where you say controll the volumn with the MAIN volumn fader. Does the individual volumn fader for each track no longer work when adding effects this way?

I think you are confusing 'Main' with 'Master'. In the right hand upper corner of the mixer window there is a popup that allows you to select the page currently displayed. Whereas the master fader is the one right most.

Biffer wrote:In other words, say I want to take down the volumn of the kick and leave the snare higher. I can't use the main for this but would need to use the individual volumn control.

Assuming that the kick is on audio-1 and the snare is on audio-2, simply drag the audio-1 fader down in the main page.

Right, when I said 'main' I meant 'master'. However, on main page, when I drag the audio-1 fader down...some of the volumn goes but as long as the effects (aux) fader is up I can still hear the track (distantly). Shouldn't the sound completely disappear?
Biffer

Postby Jerm » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:04 pm

Biffer wrote:However, on main page, when I drag the audio-1 fader down...some of the volumn goes but as long as the effects (aux) fader is up I can still hear the track (distantly). Shouldn't the sound completely disappear?

Yes. Unless you have the fader set to pre-fader. In this case the audio is being sent to the plug-in before the fader and so pulling down the audio fader will not affect the volume of effect output. Pulling down the aux fader (when the popup in the mixer window is set to aux 1) will lower the input to aux buss 1 for that track.
Jerm

Postby Scoot » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:09 pm

Biffer wrote:However, on main page, when I drag the audio-1 fader down...some of the volumn goes but as long as the effects (aux) fader is up I can still hear the track (distantly). Shouldn't the sound completely disappear?

It will disappear if the track is in POST mode.
(PRE or POST located above the PAN knob in the AUX window).

In pre mode you're adding effect before sending the signal to the volume control to make it silent.

In post you're adding the effect after you have made it silent, therefore you won't hear anything at all.

In the case of a reverb I would be sticking it in POST and the AUX fader would be the strength of reverb for each track.

You would use PRE for a plugin like speedster where you're changing the tempo of the track before hearing the result.
Scoot

Return to Audio