midi and audio in the same file

Topics related to MIDI

midi and audio in the same file

Postby arenson » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Ok, i have decided to plunge into midi. I want to do the following, and already am successful:

Import Midi opera score (Eleucevan le stelle, from tosca)

This has multiple tracks, one per instrument).

Add voice (mine) via audio import.

And while all that is in my file, now when i look at the faders in the Mixer view, only the audio appears. The midi stuff plays fine, but I would like to--say--lower a cello here and there. Or move the violas to stage right.

Or is this not possible? Maybe I am trying to manipulate midi data as audio. In which case I could use a physical recording of the aria. But something tells me i SHOULD be able to do it, since the faders are appropriately marked.

Without giving any more data on my midi setup, is there a guide on this. I searched the forums and help and did not find it.

I SUSPECT IT IS THIS--->
http://www.sagantech.biz/support/Met00223.htm

But it does explain exactly how to do it. I cannot tell what to do to assign the midi track to audio so I can manipulate the faders. I can click the PORT and get various options like P-250, plug 1, new external。。But still cannot find how to use the fader and pan with that midi track.

Suspect this is an easy one, but it eludes me.
My Midi setup is a Yamaha P20 connected direct to computer TWO ways--one by audio input and one by usb cable for midi.

Midi setup is

RECORD FROM Plus 1, new external device
RECEIVE SYNC FROM is PLUG 1
SEND SYNC TO is PLUG 1 and, P-250, PORT 2

thanks.
arenson

partly solved

Postby arenson » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:42 am

Well, I found that somehow my tracks (putput) were listed as PORT internal. When i switched them to correspond to the names I set up for midi, THEN all played ok. ( I coud adjust via the mixer).

Good.

Then when i wanted to change the voice of a prerecorded part, i found i had to CHANGE the track output BACK to PORT internal.

And vack again for the mixer.

No sweat if that is how it is supposed to be, but I wonder if I can tweak my settings to avoid that extra step?

(Perhaps it has to do with how i set up my outputs that i now have to switch between port internal and midi (name I chose at the time of setting up outputs) to respectively change instruments and see the track reflected in the mixer?)
arenson

Postby Scoot » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 pm

My midi setup on my yamaha just has it seen by Metro on the RECORD FROM option.
I have a midisport 2x2 midi interface with OUT and IN plugged in so I can record midi data from the synth into a midi track on metro (notes appear in a graphic editor window when recording) or play back midi through the synth using metro's transport controls (hearing the synth play metro midi tracks).

Therefore if I have 'modify outputs and busses' allocate outputs (faders) to the yamaha synth, I can then adjust the volume and pans in the mixer window to the given midi tracks.

My yamaha's program names are installed and I can pick any instrument using bank and pgm. in the tracks or graphic editor window.

Hopefully this is what you mean.

:wink:
Scoot

Postby Jerm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 pm

I think Paul needs to load the General MIDI bank or a more specific Yamaha bank from the program names dialog. Once the program names are loaded on the correct device, he should save preferences.
Jerm

Loading Yamaha bank from Program Names dialog

Postby arenson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 am

Ok...I was about to do thes, but when I turned on my setup, this time my Yamaha MIDI out light was out. I have it connected directly to the MAC by USB.

I went in and tested and while in Midi setup before it was shown as keyboard with lines drawn to an entity called NEW DEVICE, now it was all by itself. (I suspect this was an old setting when I connected to a USB or MIDI interface).

I clicked it with TEST and it worked--I could hear the sound (PORT 1 and PORT 2 I guess OUT). Nothing in.

Ok, I imported a MIDI file and it played. But when I played the KEYBOARD, I heard two sounds. The actual midi instrument AND a ping ping that remained no matter what sound I chose. No idea how to get rid of this and why i did not hear it before.

So now BEFORE I try to load this Yamaha data, I wonder how to get rid of this wierd thing.

PROGRAM NAMES

I have a choice of P-250 port 1 and Port 2 and PLUG 1

I cannot change ASSIGN (it won't move)

The channles are ALL selected.

I have no idea how to load anything.

The yamaha just works out of the box with the driver I installed a long time ago.

But anyway, I can live with having to reset stuff in the mixer, but this new artifact of the keyboard playing a tink tink sound is balling.

Any idea about that one?
arenson

Postby Jerm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:09 am

:lol:

When you go to test your studio, AMS sounds a ping to show that you are receiving MIDI data. Either quit AMS or turn off test studio.
Jerm

Ok on first problem

Postby arenson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 am

Now the sound is gone. I just reassigned ports.

So back to the question of loading data from Yamaha, I will look for the driver if that will help.
arenson

Re: Loading Yamaha bank from Program Names dialog

Postby Jerm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 am

arenson wrote:I have a choice of P-250 port 1 and Port 2 and PLUG 1

Select the port that you are going to be sending your MIDI data to. Then click on the 'open' button. Now select a General MIDI bank or a specific bank for your synth. If you do not have the correct .ins file you can find them online. After you click ok and leave the program names dialog, go to the graphic editor, select the yamaha-1 output and then click in the bank select field. You should see banks for the synth. When everything is working correctly go to the preferences dialog and click the save button. This will prevent you from having to repeat these steps next time you launch Metro.
Jerm

ins

Postby arenson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:12 am

SO SAVE AS an.msd file IS NOT ENOUGH? I NEED TO SAVE IN PREFERENCES...OK

OK

i downloaded this .ins file from CaKEWALK DONAR. It is on my desktop. I have OSX.

Ok by SELECT THE PORT, YOU MEAN IN THE TRACKS WINDOW? I HAVE MIDI 1-16, SO ONE OF THOSE?

WHERE IS THE OPEN BUTTON? IN THE TRACKS WINDOW?

Thanks

Code: Select all
Select the port that you are going to be sending your MIDI data to. Then click on the 'open' button. Now select a General MIDI bank or a specific bank for your synth. If you do not have the correct .ins file you can find them online. After you click ok and leave the program names dialog, go to the graphic editor, select the yamaha-1 output and then click in the bank select field. You should see banks for the synth. When everything is working correctly go to the preferences dialog and click the save button. This will prevent you from having to repeat these steps next time you launch Metro.
arenson

Postby Jerm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:08 am

No, in the program names dialog.
Jerm

yes... this is working fine....Thank you.

Postby arenson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 am

all working fine now. Well, sometimes there are blanks in the window, but it more or less works...

I see the names of the various voices whn I click or select on the keyboard.

Thanks.
arenson

Return to MIDI