Leopard & MIDI Issues

Topics related to MIDI

Leopard & MIDI Issues

Postby giomakyo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:03 pm

Has anyone experienced any issues with MIDI on Mac OS 10.5.5 (Leopard)?

I installed Metro 6.46 on my new Mac with Leopard, and have been totally unable to use MIDI. Audio is fine.

Interface is an emagic mt4. It appears as usual in AMS and in Metro's MIDI set-up dialogue.

Strange thing is MIDI in records data, but MIDI out does not trigger any sound playback. MIDI controller keyboard is also unable to play thru Metro on any assigned channels. (That is, no sound is played back. But if I hit record, the notes I play get recorded into Metro... )

Even stranger, running a test in AMS (Audio Midi Set-up) indicates MIDI activity in all four outs of the mt4, and not only that, the test out actually triggers sound in connected synths. But MIDI data from Metro cannot trigger sounds on assigned channels. Connected synths have LEDs that flash indicating MIDI activity, but no sound is produced.

The mt4 works fine if I plug it back into an old Mac running OS 10.3.
I suspected driver issues, but running a test with an m-audio firewire 410 also had the same problem -- no playback on MIDI Out from Metro's sequencer.

Obvious problems like bad cables, muted channels, wrong channel assignment, have already been ruled out.

If anyone has any idea what the problem may be, I'd greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. I have never been this stumped by a MIDI problem in 15 years of working with it.

Also, if anyone has any recommended MIDI interfaces for use with Leopard & Metro, please pass them on. Thanks.

Also, I have heard there's a MIDI fix in the forthcoming 10.5.6 from Mac; did they break MIDI in 10.5.5? Anyone else having any problems?
giomakyo

deeper...

Postby giomakyo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:36 am

Closing in on the problem here.

I have successfully managed to record and playback on Logic Pro now (with a new emagic driver), but still can't playback MIDI in Metro, so it's clear the issue is arising in Metro and not the MIDI interface/drivers.

My suspicion is it has something to do with port selection, and why I keep getting the "Change Ports" dialogue every time I open my old files in Metro. Then again, even opening a new file and starting from scratch doesn't work either. MIDI data goes in, but no playback.

The MT-4 shows up in available outputs in the track editor, and I'm clearly selecting the proper assigned channels. I see the Level indicator showing activity. And Midi setup has the MT-4 assigned to all functions. Sooooo.... am I missing something? I'm totally lost as to what the issue could be here. Any ideas?

Alos, anyone using an old emagic MIDI device will be dismayed that Digidesign is not supporting them for Leopard. Go here though for the Unitor Universal Driver which will handle the MT4 & 8 as well on Leopard:

http://www.lpaudiolab.com/cpicasso/blog ... ntel-macs/
giomakyo

Postby Jerm » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello Gio,

Is this issue resolved if you add endpoints to the MT4 interface in AMS?
Jerm

Return to MIDI