MIDI/Audio problem

Topics related to MIDI

MIDI/Audio problem

Postby spridget » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm using an '09 Mac Pro running the latest OS, the latest version of SE, a hardware synth with USB output. I'm attempting to mix SE audio and MIDI tracks to a single audio track without success. I have set AMS and the SE digital audio settings so that I can monitor both playing simultaneously, but have not been able to record to another track regardless of settings. I can convert the MIDI track to audio in other recording utilities, but cannot import those audio tracks into SE. In the past I have, and still can mix several MIDI tracks to an audio track in SE, but have not found the secret to mixing audio and MIDI. Can this be done with what I have?

A related question: an attempt to import an audio file externally converted from MIDI results in SE track info in the tracks window in italics, with no playable content in the track. In some cases the audio waveform can be seen in the graphics editor window, in others nothing. What does the italicized text indicate, and can I correct it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
spridget

Postby Jerm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 am

Metro SE auto archives (italicizes) tracks after 8 audio tracks (fewer if you are running Metro SE before 6.2).

This is most likely what is happening. You have a few choices. Update to version 6.2 or greater, upgrade to LX or the full version, or mix the audio tracks to create a sub mix.

You cannot mix, directly, Audio and MIDI (unless the MIDI is a software synth). So to do this you first need to convert the MIDI to audio. I think, from your posting that you understand this.

If I am missing the point please clarify.
Jerm

Postby spridget » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 am

Your solution is correct and simple, now that I know. I am running SE 6.4.7.2, but in my floundering had managed to have too many audio tracks. The fact that I ran into the trouble when attempting to convert a MIDI track to audio introduced the MIDI red herring. Once I reduced the number of audio tracks to within the limit there is no problem. Thanks for the prompt response. An outstanding product with superior support!
spridget

Return to MIDI