Tascam US-428

Topics related to MIDI

Tascam US-428

Postby timegan1961 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:27 pm

OK, I am stumped. I have been using Cubase SL with the US-428 for some time and audio and control surface functions work flawlessly. Pretty much a plug and play operation. I recently updated to Metro 6 (full version) and run it in OS X. I have no probem with setting the audio functions for the US-428 in Metro. I should add that I have been using an M-Audio USB keyboard controller and it works flawlessly with Metro. Where I am stumped is that I can not get any of the control surface functions to work with Metro. Metro shows all the ports of the US-428 and I have it selected in the record from dialog box, but control surface functions don't seem to be recognized at all nor is there any MIDI activity shown when you move a fader (in Cubase when you move a fader you see MIDI activity). I just can't get the US-428 control surface to work with Metro. Bottom line, what am I missing? There is really very limited documentation on how to get a contol surface set up with Metro. With the growing number of control surfaces, perhaps a step by step tutorial would be a great addition to the documentation. I have checked this forum and I know that people are using the US-428 as a control surface, the problem is no one really explains how they set it up to work with Metro. Thanks in advance for your help.
timegan1961

Postby GarySome1 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:54 pm

Launch the "TASCAM US-428 Manager" application
    -In the "Control Surface" area choose "US-428 Native" from the popup menu for Protocol.
Launch Metro
    -Select Setup:MIDISetup...
    -In the MIDI Setup window make sure "Record From includes US-428 Control Port. Click OK.
    -Select Windows:Remote Control
    -For each button or knob you want to control something in Metro you need to do the following:
    ----In the Remote Control window click the Insert popup menu on choose "Controller".
    ----Click on the "all" underneath "Device" (it is a popup menu) and select US-428 Control Port
    ----Click on the "1' under "Ch." (it is a popup menu) and choose "16"
    ----Click on the "1" that doesn't have a header and pick the MIDI controller you want to use (for example 22 for "play")
    ----Click on "Play and Stop" under "Command" (it is a popup menu) and choose the action you want Metro to take in response to getting this command (for 22 I'd suggest "Play").

To know which controllers to use you will have to look in the back of the US-428 at the control protocol to know that 22 (16 hex) is what you want to use for "Play".

To set up the harder ones see the later messages in this thread:
http://sagantech.com/metroforum/viewtop ... ight=us428

I am sending some screenshots to Jeremy in case he want to post them to make things clearer. If he does, uou can improve on those screenshots by using "Arm Track" and "Solo Track" 8 times each where I used "Arm" and "Mute" to allow all your 8 control tracks to act correctly.

BTW, Metro does not have the ability to adjust the LEDs on the US-428 in response to your actions.
GarySome1

Postby Jerm » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:49 am

:idea: It would be nice to have a remote control preset that we could post on our site for beginners.
Jerm

Tascam US-428

Postby timegan1961 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:13 am

Thank you very much for the tips. I will try the suggestions. I recently "burned the midnight oil" and figured out how to get the US-428 to work. I will share my experience as it is probably applicable to all control surfaces. First, make sure that you have the US-428 selected in the record from menu under MIDI Setup. Next, select track one and enable record. I then opened the following windows: Remote Control and Event Editor. Now select record and press the play button on the US-428. The button will send MIDI data which will be recorded and can be seen in the Event Editor. From there, all you have to do is enter the information from the Event Editor into the Remote Control window and then you are good to go. You can then test the entered remote control function by hitting the play button on the US-428. If you entered the information correctly, pressing the play button will activate the play button in Metro. Basically I was teaching Metro the functions of the US-428. I used the same method to assign all of the other US-428 functions including faders. Once you have a workable set, you can save it under the Remote Control box for future use. One nice thing you can do with Metro that you can't do with Cubase is customize the faders. I have one set to control Faders for audio and one set for controling faders with Midi. Cubase only allows the movement of Audio faders (to the best of my knowledge) With Metro, I can control both Audio and Midi faders depending on what I am working on. One thing I am trying to work on is the bank control function as it would be nice to have more than 8 faders. Additionally. is there someway to send data back to the US-428 to activate the LEDS? If I happen to stumble upon the solution for banks and LEDS, I will post it. Thank you for your response and suggestions. I hope my experience will help others with control surfaces.
timegan1961

Postby mtjazz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Jerm wrote::idea: It would be nice to have a remote control preset that we could post on our site for beginners.

Amen to that! Since I got my FW-1884, I've had to go back to DP. Currently I'm trying really hard to spend less time doing "computer-y" stuff and more time writing music. I wonder if there's any way to modify one of the packages for those "other" DAW's so you could just DL, install and get back to work?
mtjazz

Postby Jerm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:37 pm

If anyone has such a preset, even if not complete, we would gladly post it for others to get the most out of their devices.
Jerm

Postby GarySome1 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:03 am

I sent one to Jeremy.
GarySome1

Postby Jerm » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:50 am

Thanks to Gary we now have a preset for the US-428. Click here to download, then unstuff and place in the presets folder within the Metro folder.
Jerm

Postby mtjazz » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:38 am

Oh well, no love for the fw-1884. Neither the preset nor the "teaching" method have worked so far.

:cry:

Too bad, too.

MT

Edit: I stand corrected. Both methods are working...sort of. Gotta keep at it, I guess.
mtjazz

Postby Jerm » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 am

GarySome1 wrote:BTW, Metro does not have the ability to adjust the LEDs on the US-428 in response to your actions.

Metro 6.3.3.1 has support for sending MIDI notes and/or controller information to turn LED's on and off along with many other remote control enahancements.

If there are other things missing for remote control support please let me know what functionality needs to be included.
Jerm

Return to MIDI