FR: Event Editor (multiple stuff)

Please post any ideas for new features in Metro or Metro SE here.

FR: Event Editor (multiple stuff)

Postby Lytz1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Howdy.

Some enhancement wishes for the event editor. Nothing too fancy.
Should be quick and easy but would cut down editing time in the Event Editor easily multiple times.

A couple of suggestions to make the Event Editor easier and much faster to work with.

1) Modifier/Keycommand to select next/prior event in list. (like the bracket keys to select next/prev note in the regular editor)

or:
2) Modifier/Keycommand to select same column in next row/prior row.

or:
3) "return" after entering value selects same column in next row down.

or:
4) allow tab/shift tab to jump to next row/line down, when end of current row/line is reached.

(Clicking around to select the next value for editing is honestly a bit silly, especially in a text based Event List. **Especially** with larger number of events.
Any of these suggestions would do it. Maybe someone has even a better idea. The basic idea is to make the Editor behave a bit more like a programming language editor
in terms of speed when locating and changing multiple values at multiple points in time....)

Thanks& best,
tL.
Lytz1

Re: FR: Event Editor (multiple stuff)

Postby Jerm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 am

Yes I agree.
Jerm

Postby Jerm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 pm

These FRs will make it into the next release with the following caveats....
Lytz1 wrote:1) Modifier/Keycommand to select next/prior event in list. (like the bracket keys to select next/prev note in the regular editor)

Arrow keys work as navigation now and no longer increment numeric fields.

Lytz1 wrote:or:
2) Modifier/Keycommand to select same column in next row/prior row.

Down arrow and Up arrow do this.

3) "return" after entering value selects same column in next row down.

Down arrow selects the next row down, return enters the data and exits the editing.
4) allow tab/shift tab to jump to next row/line down, when end of current row/line is reached.

tab does the same thing as right arrow, it moves to the next field and shift-tab does the same thing as left-arrow goes to the previous field.

Also the '[]' keys have been implemented within the editor to select the previous and next notes for editing, skipping other non-note events. This was not a simple FR so it will need some more thorough testing.
Jerm

Postby Lytz1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Sounds great. I usually use event lists a lot, so if there would be any hickups with the new approach
I probably run into them rather quickly.
Lytz1

Postby Lytz1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Forgot to report back. So far it works well.

A small suggestion would be that cmd-up / cmd-down could work on notes the same way as it does when editing notes in the normal editor.
(i.e. notes are getting transposed up or down) but because the event editor is more suited for numerical values editing this might be rather a rather
negligent issue.

Best,
tL.
Lytz1

Postby Jerm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying that you accidentally pressed command+uparrow or command+downarrow and it transposed the note instead of moving the cursor up or down?
Jerm

Postby Lytz1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 pm

No, indeed I tried to use cmd-up / down in the eventlist editor to transpose notes like it's default in other Metro windows.
The suggestion was that maybe it might be a good idea that the event editor behaves in the same way (i.e. consistent across the whole application)
but then again I see the Event Editor more for numbers than notes anyways.
Lytz1

Postby Jerm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm

I agree. It should transpose and not just do the exact same thing as the regular arrow keys.
Jerm

Return to Metro/LX/SE Feature Request